Jesus said, "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." John 10:10

Friday, August 5, 2011

How Big Of a Hole will You Leave?

Do to others as you would have them do to you. - Matthew 7:12 NIV


As long as I can remember, whenever I would begin to think that I was SO important, My Father would say, "Cathi, stick your fist in a bucket of water, take it out, and see how big of a hole you leave." At times he would follow up with, "Don't ever think that you are indispensable. There is always someone to fill in where you've been and may be able to do it better!" His point was effective and always humbling. It would bring me down off my high horse and put me back on track. Now I use this example on my children when they begin to "think that they are all that!"
This is probably a point we all could benefit from. But over the years I have been blessed to know a few people who WILL leave holes, and I attended the funeral of one today.
Shortly after moving here to "The Burg" she extended her warmth and kindness to my family making us feel extremely comfortable and welcomed to call her friend. Her notes and calls to comfort, compliment or congratulate over the years have made many of our days extra special or better. The smile on her face when she greeted us always made us feel wonderful. By all accounts this is how she treated everybody. This is how she lived her life. By the Golden Rule.
 When we dance around "accomplishing" and stay busy with thoughts of how important we are and "Thinking we're all That", we need to think about how big of a hole we will leave. For the only way to really leave a hole, is as Jane did. A great big hole full of warmth, kindness, fun, laughter, comfort, beauty and Love. Lots of Love.

Thank you Jane,
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment